Friday, December 14, 2007

No Fear In Holiday Cheer

“I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.” ~ Dave Barry, American Writer and Humorist
It's the Christmas party season. Some enjoy it.. some dread it. I like going to these parties. I always end up seeing folks I haven't run into for some time.

Here's an example... I went to a party tonight... met some new folks, saw some old friends, and some colleagues from the past that I haven't seen for some time. But the take away from this party is not a new contact, or an old laugh with friends but the following exchange.

J walks over to S and says, "That's Andrew Palmer over there.... what's he doing here.. God, I hate him!"

Good times, eh?

Merry Christmas - I take no offense to this, in fact is think it's funny. That's right.

Funny.

Not only funny because I think the person was so drunk that I heard it from five feet away, but funny because after X amount of years working with this person, and after leaving for greener pastures, that I could still illicit such a response.

You must know by now, dear reader, that I pull no punches. I tell people the truth. Now some ego's can't take that. Some never forget being told "no" by a confident marketer such as myself.

I write this because you must keep going forward. Don't let people who dislike you stop you from accomplishing your goals. You'll never please everyone.... and don't try.

Do what is best for your business and let the chips fall as they may. I've always said, "...it's not personal, it's only business." Some may not understand this... but the fact is you may not always like the people you need to work with. Life is not that convenient. (If it happens, you're lucky.)

My advice - get over it.

Do what is right for your business and party like it's 1999. My spin... after so many years hatred is a sign of respect. Yep, I'm good with that.

AP