Saturday, September 22, 2007

You Better Think

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~ Albert Einstein, theoretical physicist (1879-1955)
OK... so what I am about to say is obvious. Maybe even stupid. But it's a lack of common sense so it has to be said.

Ready?

When sending email... check all links. Click them. If they are order forms, test a order. Then go to your unsubscribe link, click to the interface, and test it too!

Don't send out broken links.

(Sigh) I feel better now.

I can't tell you how many times I've run across situations where someone forgot the simple act of clicking through a link.

It's absurd... nonsensical... and sad.

But I'd guess that every day someone... somewhere... is sending out a broken link in an email. And that person is either losing money or causing someone to hit the "This Is Spam" button.

I had an employee once tell me the that I gave her the worse insult she had ever heard.... you know what I told her?

I told her to think. THINK.

I kid you not... she sent out an email without checking the order form link and based on past performance we lost $250,000!

So... if that's mean, than yes I am.

But if you send out an email without checking your links... if you ask me, you deserve whole alot worse than to be told to think.

So make it a rule... nothing is broadcast until all links are checked.

AP