Sunday, September 02, 2007

Last Stop: London

“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford.” ~ Samuel Johnson, English Poet & Writer, 1709-1784
This is the final episode the CVoD travel diary... I promise we'll get back to web marketing soon. Just some final comments on our trip.

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to drive from Binz to Hamburg, and catch a plane to London all in one day. Sounds easy... in theory.

In reality... no.

It's not something you want to do. On a rainy windy day... it was too long in the car, too hard to navigate through Hamburg to drop off the rental, too many bags to lug to the airport and too many cranky family members, i.e., son, daughter, wife, and yours truly.

Nonetheless, we made it to the airport on time but of course then, our plane was late... but that was good news for me as it allowed one more Bier.

As they say, "When in Hamburg..."

When all is said and done... we did have a great time in Germany, and we look forward to coming back.

We arrived in London without complication. Ah, London.

London... is a great city. It has everything I want in a city... business, culture, history... you name it. I've been to London many times over the last 20 years and each time I find something new and interesting.

But this time we have the CVoD family caravan.... So what do you think we did first off?

You guessed it, we bought another piece of luggage.

Yep... We have too much stuff and what's another bag when you already have 6? (sic)

Plus, my wife wanted to go shopping for clothes for the the kids... so it's better to get one more bag than further stuff the over-stuffed bags we're traveling with.

The clothes she bought were indeed cool, every boy needs to look his best on his first day of school.... don't you think?

Sure it would be better if the dollar wasn't an embarrassment against the British Sterling, but sometimes a Dad just has to suck it up and pay a little more for family peace.

Or I'm just too tired to fight, I'm not sure which.

I can justify buying clothes, but the $150 US dollar (converted) airport to hotel taxi ride is hard to swallow. But again with all our luggage it not like we can take the Tube.

My son loves London, and the Tower Bridge. This is his second trip and I'm sure it won't be the last.

What did we do?

We had a couple pints, some good Greek food, and nice dinner sitting outside next to my son's bridge, (it's now his bridge, yes). Nothing too exciting, as such I'll end this travel talk.

Was it restful vacation... hell no.

As is par for the course, my wife and I have a tendency to bite off more than we can chew, and this trip is no different. We survived. But sometimes surviving is enough... would I do it again?

Yeah, we are both crazy that way. (I guess that's why we got married) We enjoy living our lives rather than letting life live us.

If that makes no sense to you... then you must not have kids. AND you probably don't get CVoD. But I'm too tired to explain it any further.

Now, go get some names!

AP