"Life's pretty good, and why wouldn't it be? I'm a pirate, after all." ~ Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, (2003)Put a parrot on your shoulder and take a grog o' rum - today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Drink up, me hearties!
Join the fun and start your conversations with an "Arrrr!" Just don't make the mistake of referring to your wife as a scurvy bilge rat while ordering her back into the galley.
Find a way to insert these into your daily conversation...
"Bring me one noggin of rum, now, won't you, matey."
“C’mere, me buxom beauty”
"Dead men don't bite."
"Shiver me timbers!"
"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest -- Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!"
"Drink up, me hearties!"
"Davy Jones' locker"
“Smartly, me lass,”
And from http://www.talklikeapirate.com the top ten pirate "pick up" lines.
10. Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?
9. Have ya ever met a man with a real yardarm?
8. Come on up and see me urchins.
7. Yes, that is a hornpipe in my pocket and I am happy to see you.
6. I'd love to drop anchor in your lagoon.
5. Pardon me, but would ya mind if fired me cannon through your porthole?
4. How'd you like to scrape the barnacles off of me rudder?
3. Ya know, darlin’, I’m 97 percent chum free.
2. Well blow me down?
And the number one pickup line for use on International Talk Like a Pirate Day is...
1. Prepare to be boarded.
"Oy... worry about your own fortunes gentlemen. The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers."
PS - Did you know, according to our friends a Wikipedia, the archetypal pirate grunt "Arrr!" (alternatively "Rrrr!" or "Yarrr!") first appeared in the classic 1950 Disney film Treasure Island. But I don't believe that.