Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Memory of Tragedy

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “ ~ President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001
I felt compelled to write something, but I don't know...

It's six years after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Today all over the U.S. there are public memorials and private remembrances. For some, the grief will be raw. For others, it is time to move on.

I will always remember that day, and the shock that Michelle N. and I had from our joint offices at 808 St. Paul Street.

Disbelief, confusion, fear, anger... it was a very emotional day.

So much so that by 11:30am (EST) I let my office staff go home. No reason to keep working since our little Internet publishing effort in Baltimore was irrelevant after such events.

And now it's six years later...

Any global goodwill that America engendered after Sept. 11 has been tarnished by wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Osama bin Laden, who released a video message Friday for the first time in three years, remains at large.

At"ground zero", the Freedom Tower is beginning to emerge where the twin towers stood in lower Manhattan. Is America is trying to move forward?

I think most of us are trying... yet America is still at war. A war that the public doesn't support, and the government is escalating.

So is American moving forward, or hanging on to it's pain as a justification for war?

Like I said, I don't know...