Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Tradition Of Thanks

"Thanksgiving Day, a function which originated in New England two or three centuries ago when those people recognized that they really had something to be thankful for - annually, not oftener - if they had succeeded in exterminating their neighbors, the Indians, during the previous twelve months instead of getting exterminated by their neighbors, the Indians. Thanksgiving Day became a habit, for the reason that in the course of time, as the years drifted on, it was perceived that the exterminating had ceased to be mutual and was all on the white man's side, consequently on the Lord's side; hence it was proper to thank the Lord for it and extend the usual annual compliments." ~ Mark Twain, American Humorist & Writer, (1835-1910)
Today, on the American Thanksgiving Holiday, I'd like to give thanks as this may have been the best year of my life. Why do I say that?

This past year I saw the birth of my daughter, and my family is healthy, supportive & actually loves me. Sounds crazy to say that... but I think that's rare these days ...said the cynic. I have the perfect little family, and I wish everyone could have the loving home that we have.

Ok, it's not perfect... nothing is, right?

After all I am a lawyer and living with a lawyer can be hell. Not to mention that I'm online ALL the time. But we're committed to make it work.

So, it works.

Professionally I've got a bit of a crazy life but I've never been happier. I really like the people I work with, the sense of freedom I have each day and the fact that we're building a new business. I really love that.

Lastly, I'm thankful to share an office with my wife and the best man from our wedding. Come on, what could be better than to spend the "working" day with two of your best friends?

Thanks to everyone who has made this incredible year possible, there are really too many of you to mention... but I do indeed appreciate your support. As I've said in a previous post, I'm one lucky bastard!

Enjoy the day with your family, and stay off the Internet today... if you can.

AP