Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Online Trap, Redux

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison
I just ran across this quote and had to post it. Edison sums up the CVoD issue The Online Trap in one sentence.

Thanks to those readers that sent in comments. Some sent these quotes:

"Just do it" - Nike's award winning branding campaign

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." - Winston Churchill

"There are no problems, only solutions" - John Lennon

"People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents." - Andrew Carnegie

Sigh... Don't let this happen to you. Find the fire within. (Right... getting off the soapbox now. Back to marketing tomorrow.)

AP

PS - Office Space is a cult 1999 comedy film written and directed by Mike Judge. Here's a scene that recently caught my attention exploring worker motivation and company mismanagement. Good stuff:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?

Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob... I have eight different bosses right now.

Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?

Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.

Bob Slydell: Eight?

Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.